Pay attention, use common sense and backup your partner. Keep your climbing equipment in good condition. Please read and follow the Vertex rules of Safety and Courtesy below. Help contribute to a safe and enjoyable climbing experience at Vertex.
- Climbers and visitors must register at the front desk and have a waiver signed. Underage climbers must have waivers signed by a parent or court assigned legal guardian.
- Climbers must pass the Belay test before engaging in roped climbing. That is to be done each day one climbs at the facility until one is granted a permanent belay card by our staff. It is to the discretion of staff to grant the privilege of a permanent belay card, and it can be revoked anytime if one fails to belay safely or to follow our safety rules.
- Climbers and belayers must pass the Lead Climbing and Belaying Check before lead climbing. Lead climbers must provide their own UIAA approved dynamic rope. Only Vertex staff may teach lead climbing and lead belay technique in the gym.
- Climbers must provide their own UIAA approved belay device.
- Climbers and belayers must wear UIAA approved manufactured harnesses; Rubber-soled, closed-toe shoes must be worn while climbing.
- The belay system must be attached directly to the belayer’s harness.
- Climbers must tie the rope directly into harness using a figure-eight follow-through knot.
- Climbing past rope anchors or topping out on the bouldering structure is prohibited.
- Soloing is prohibited.
- Bouldering is allowed in the bouldering area, and below the ten-foot line on the walls.
- Bouldering on walls below roped climbers is prohibited.
- The carpeted landing areas are for climbers and belayers. All others should remain on the concrete floor.
- Removing, rotating or changing climbing wall holds, features or route markers is prohibited unless authorized by Staff. Report loose or damaged holds and features to Staff.
- Closed-toe shoes must be worn while weight training.
- The use or possession of drugs, alcohol or tobacco are prohibited on Vertex property. It is also prohibited for any individual under the influence of such substances (including certain OTC or prescription drugs that impair judgement / cause drowsiness) to use the facility.
- Food, drinks and any objects must be kept out of the carpeted climbing areas.
- Climbing is Dangerous, Climb at your own risk.
- During gym use, store your personal belongings in the lockers located in the changing rooms or in the cubbies. Vertex is not responsible for lost or stolen personal items. Do not leave belongings overnight.
- During peak hours, partners should use a rope for one climb each, then turn the rope over to anyone waiting.
- Use chalk balls rather than loose chalk.
- No profanity.
- Re-stack weights after use and wipe off sweat / clean off after using benches and machines in the weight room.
- Weight room towels and cleaning towels are provided as courtesy, and shower towels are provided at the cost of $1 per towel.
- Recycle glass, plastic, aluminum and newspaper in the containers provided.