RULES & COURTESY
Please read our rules of safety and courtesy below and help contribute to a
safe and enjoyable climbing experience at Vertex.
- Climbers and visitors must register at the front desk and have a waiver signed. Underage climbers must have waivers signed by a parent or court assigned legal guardian.
- Climbers must pass the belay test before engaging in top rope climbing. The belay test must be passed prior to climbing every day until a belayer is granted a permanent belay card by our staff. It is to the discretion of staff to grant the privilege of a permanent belay card, and it can be revoked at any time upon failure to belay safely or to follow our safety rules.
- Lead climbers and lead belayers must pass the Lead Climbing and Belay Check before lead climbing. Lead climbers must provide their own UIAA approved dynamic rope. Only Vertex staff is allowed to teach lead climbing and lead belay technique in the gym.
- Climbers must provide their own UIAA approved belay device. Climbers and belayers must wear UIAA approved manufactured harnesses; Rubber-soled, closed-toe shoes must be worn while climbing.
- The belay system must be attached directly to the belayer’s harness.
- Climbers must tie the rope directly into harness using a figure-eight follow-through knot.
- Climbing past rope anchors or topping out on the bouldering structure is prohibited.
- Soloing is prohibited.
- Bouldering is allowed in the bouldering area, and below the ten-foot line on the walls.
- Bouldering on walls below roped climbers is prohibited.
- The carpeted landing areas are for climbers and belayers. All others should remain on the concrete floor.
- Removing, rotating or changing climbing wall holds, features or route markers is prohibited unless authorized by Staff. Report loose or damaged holds and features to Staff.
- Closed-toe shoes must be worn while weight training.
- The use or possession of drugs, alcohol or tobacco are prohibited on Vertex property. It is also prohibited for any individual under the influence of such substances (including certain OTC or prescription drugs that impair judgement / cause drowsiness) to use the facility.
- Food, drinks and any objects must be kept out of the carpeted climbing areas.
- Climbing is Dangerous, Climb at your own risk.
- During gym use, please store your personal belongings in the lockers located in the changing rooms or in the cubbies surrounding the climbing area. Vertex is not responsible for lost or stolen personal items. Do not leave belongings overnight.
- During peak hours, partners should use a rope for one climb each, then turn the rope over to anyone waiting.
- The use of chalk balls is preferred to loose chalk.
- Please abstain from the use of profanity.
- Re-stack weights after use and wipe down equipment after use. This includes benches, mats and machines in the weight room.
- Shower towels, weight room towels and cleaning towels are provided as courtesy, please be considerate to the environment and use only as needed.
- Please utilize our clearly marked recycle, compost and landfill bins to dispose of waste.